Tag Archives | NYC Department of Transportation

DOT Says No Major BQE Work Likely Until 2028.

As reported by amNY, under questioning from City Council Member Lincoln Restler a representative of the City’s Department of Transportation said no major capital reconstruction work on the triple catilevered section of the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway, which lies below Brooklyn Heights between Atlantic Avenue and Sands Street, is likely to begin before 2028 “at the earliest.” […]

Read full story · Comments { 1 }

Montague Open Streets Sundays May 12 through June 30

Open Streets Montague, made possible by the businesses of Montague Street and by the NYC Department of Transportation, produced by the Montague Street BID, with support by the Brooklyn Heights Association, will be held on Sundays from 10:00 AM through 5:00 PM beginning May 12 and continuing through June 30. On these days from 10:00 […]

Read full story · Comments { 0 }

Upcoming BQE Lane Closures For Rehab Work

The New York City Department of Transportation has announced that the Queens bound lanes of the Brookyn-Queens Expressway will be closed between Atlantic Avenue and Sands Street from early morning Saturday, April 13 to early morning Monday, April 15 to accommodate repair work. During that weekend expect much more traffic on our principal southbound thoroughfare, […]

Read full story · Comments { 1 }

Brooklyn Heights Association Meeting Focuses on Accomplishments, BQE, and Public Realm

Despite the protestors who prevented Senator Kirsten Gillibrand from speaking (see previous post) at the Brooklyn Heights Association’s Annual Meeting, much else was accomplished. As reported by Mary Frost in the Eagle, BHA president Koren Volk (photo), whose term ends soon, although she will remain on BHA’s board of directors, gave an account of BHA […]

Read full story · Comments { 8 }

BQE “Boondoggle”: Bad and Good News

Mary Frost’s Eagle story contains what she calls some “chilling” information about the City Department of Transportation’s and Mayor Adams’s plans for the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway beyond the urgent repair work now underway. The bad news for Brooklyn Heights is that these plans would include demolition of the Brooklyn Heights Promenade (although it would eventually be […]

Read full story · Comments { 11 }

More Info on Traffic Re-Routing for BQE Repairs Next Weekend

Anita Navalurkar, of the NYC Department of Transportation, has supplied information (see below) concerning the re-routing of traffic in Brooklyn during repair work on the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway this coming weekend — early Saturday morning, October 14 to early Monday morning, October 16. There’s a detailed description of the planned traffic changes, with maps, here. Some […]

Read full story · Comments { 7 }

BQE Update On Line Friday

We have this from Councilmember Lincoln Restler: Join DOT officials on Friday, August 25 from 12:00PM to 12:45PM to get an update on the interim repairs to the BQE triple cantilever: get your questions answered, learn about upcoming work, and voice any concerns you may have. To join the meeting on Friday, click here. After […]

Read full story · Comments { 0 }

Overweight Truck Monitoring Starts on BQE, Thanks to Local Electeds

As reported by Stephen Nessen in Gothamist, starting this week the City’s Department of Transportation will start monitoring, using scales and license plate readers that were installed “months ago,” the weight of trucks using the Queens bound lanes of the cantilevered section of the Brooklyn Queens Expressway that lies below Brooklyn Heights. Monitoring of the […]

Read full story · Comments { 0 }

Guess What? Another Delay For BQE Repair Work

The City Department of Transportation has advised us that the start of the interim repair work on the parts of the Brooklyn Queens Expressway below Clark Street and below Grace Court, which had been scheduled for this Monday, has been postponed a second time. DOT now hopes to start the work the week of August […]

Read full story · Comments { 0 }

Former Transportation Commissioner Criticizes Mayor’s BQE Plans

Gothamist reports that former DOT Commissioner Hank Gutman, who served under Mayor Bill de Blasio, opposes the three alternative long term Brooklyn Queens Expressway plans proposed by Mayor Eric Adams’s administration. All of these plans would keep the “Central” portion of the BQE following its present route around and below Brooklyn Heights. Mr. Gutman notes […]

Read full story · Comments { 5 }