Hal Ashby’s 1970 film The Landlord explores the “brownstoner” movement through the eyes of a naive dreamer played by Beau Bridges. Its climax takes place on Columbia Heights as seen in the photo above. While we discuss the brownstoners of yesterday and today at the Brooklyn Bugle, we thought it would be fun to talk about how Columbia Heights looked back in 1970 here. What’s changed?
Ghost of Brownstoners Past – 1970’s The Landlord
Connect with BHB
- New Staten Island Ferry Named for Dorothy Day, Brooklyn Heights Native
- Of Addresses Renumbered and Other Curiosities of Brooklyn Heights History
- Long Line for Covid-19 Vaccine Leads to Hope for More Time with Grandkids
- Center for Brooklyn History Presents Discussion on Authoritarianism Wednesday
- Work Has Begun on Emily Roebling Plaza, Final Portion of Brooklyn Bridge Park
Advertise on BHB
Support independent hyperlocal news written by neighbors for neighbors. Advertise with us. Rates and info available here.
If you have a Brooklyn Heights news tip let us know. Click here to send us an e-mail.