Fun neighborhood fact: The Häagen-Dazs shop at 120 Montague St., opened 40 years ago by the founder’s daughter Doris Mattus, was the first storefront location for the company.
After undergoing renovations this past spring, the shop will have a grand re-opening this Saturday, July 16. The celebration will begin with a ribbon cutting by Borough President Eric L. Adams, who had this to say:
Life in Brooklyn remains as sweet as Jackie Gleason described, as we celebrate the reopening of the original Häagen-Dazs Shop in Brooklyn Heights. During this summer season, visitors to the Montague Street shop will have an opportunity to cool down with delicious treats while celebrating a borough that has never been hotter.
The schedule for the festivities is:
- 10:45 a.m. – ribbon cutting by Brooklyn Borough President Eric L. Adams.
- 11 a.m. – 3 p.m. – every guest will receive one free ice cream scoop.
- One guest will win an ice cream for a year gift card*; and $10, $15 and $25 gift cards will be given out.
- $1 off coupons good for a future visit to the shop.
- The Häagen-Dazs mascot Coneman will be available for photographs throughout the day.
Be sure to post your photos with Coneman here!