Construction work at Brooklyn Bridge Park will pick up further in 2014, thanks to some recent awards in response to Requests for Proposals and decisions regarding other projects. Edgewater Resources, “a multi- disciplinary marina design, development, and management company with extensive national and international experience,” will develop and operate a marina between Piers 4 and 5 (rendering above by Edgewater Resources). The operator for the roller skate rink at Pier 2, slated to open early in 2014, is United Skates of America, Inc. The rink will be used for “roller and inline skating, roller hockey, and roller derby.” Expansion of the Park will continue with the completion of the landscaping of Pier 6, which will open the outer portion of the pier to the public, further development of the Main Street site, and development of the John Street site at the north end of the Park. The former Department of Environmental Protection building at Plymouth and Washington streets in DUMBO “will be transformed into a 1,700 square foot public park building providing much needed restrooms, a community meeting space, an environmental education center and BBP operations space.” Ample Hills Creamery will continue and expand its concession at Pier 5, and Smorgasburg will return to Pier 5 on Sundays starting in April. Finally, in collaboration with Spaceworks, a portion of the upper floors of the building at 334 Fulton Street (corner of Joralemon Street) that houses the Park’s administrative headquarters will be converted into artists’ studio spaces. “Spaceworks anticipates the project will yield approximately 40 affordable studios for visual artists, who will be selected by lottery.” More details on all these projects are here.
Marina, Roller Rink, and More to Come at Brooklyn Bridge Park
By Claude Scales on December 19, 2013 1:44 pm in brooklyn bridge park, Development, DUMBO, Maritime, News, Sports, Visual Arts
Connect with BHB
Advertise on BHB
Support independent hyperlocal news written by neighbors for neighbors. Advertise with us. Rates and info available here.
- Grace Chorale of Brooklyn and Apollo Chorus of Chicago Present Premiere On-Line Performance of “Epitaph for Eugene Williams” Sunday Evening
- Brass Bands Festival in Brooklyn Bridge Park Sunday
- Open Thread Wednesday
- Council Candidates’ Forum Yields No Differences on Issues Crucial to Heights
- City Council Candidates Forum at Cadman Plaza Park Sunday Evening
- Open Thread Wednesday June 9, 2021
- Brass Bands Festival in Brooklyn Bridge Park Sunday June 9, 2021
- Grace Chorale of Brooklyn and Apollo Chorus of Chicago Present Premiere On-Line Performance of “Epitaph for Eugene Williams” Sunday Evening June 10, 2021
If you have a Brooklyn Heights news tip let us know. Click here to send us an e-mail.