This Saturday (11/30) is Small Business Saturday in Brooklyn Heights and around the rest of the country. The promotion was started in 2010 by American Express to encourage people to shop at small businesses in a weekend cluttered with big box retailers shouting about Black Friday sales. This year other brands are participating and retailers say it does help their business.
So what’s to complain about?
How about those horrible signs posted in Brooklyn Heights on Montague Street and Columbia Heights touting the promotion? A BHB reader writes:
In the middle of the night the city came by and stuck a massive banner on the street light outside my home.
1. Columbia Heights now looks like a commercial area.
2. Was there any public consultation?
3. We spend time keeping this post painted and graffiti free – this is city condoned graffiti.
4. Why did this happen in the middle of the night?
5. Pointless campaign – we so shop local – but with the continuing growth of national/international brands downtown/Montague St we won’t have choice soon!
Never one to complain – but I feel violated on this one. Help!
What do you think?