The Appellate Division of the New York Supreme Court today stayed the appointment of William Thompson Sr. as a “mediator” or “special master” in the conflict between Long Island College Hospital staff and SUNY Downstate Medical Center, which seeks to close and sell the hospital. The stay results from an appeal by SUNY of Judge Johnny Lee Baynes’ order appointing Thompson. SUNY has also appealed Judge Baynes’ order blocking it from closing LICH. The appellate court has not yet acted on that appeal. The stay of the Thompson appointment, which preserves the status quo while the appeal is pending, does not indicate how the appellate court may decide the merits of the appeal. The stay also does not affect the order of Judge Carolyn Demarest, also described here, that requires SUNY to account for LICH funds.
#SaveLICH Update: Appellate Court Stays Thompson Appointment
Connect with BHB
- String Orchestra of Brooklyn at St. Ann & the Holy Trinity Saturday Evening
- BHA Annual Meeting Wednesday Evening, February 24; Brooklyn D.A. Thompson to Speak
- Sword Dance Festival at Library Saturday
- Let St. Francis College Prep You For St. Valentine’s Day
- Theater 2020 Presents A Little Night Music Starting This Weekend; Vaudeville Revue on Tuesday the 16th
Advertise on BHB
Support independent hyperlocal news written by neighbors for neighbors. Advertise with us. Rates and info available here.
If you have a Brooklyn Heights news tip let us know. Click here to send us an e-mail.