Over the last 24 hours we’ve received a couple of reader submissions on opposite sides of the spectrum. We thought we’d share them with you.
Have an interesting experience in the area recently? Share them in the comments below.
First, HicksonHicks writes:
Hi Neighbors – This week a good Samaritan returned my wife’s lost wallet to Montague St merchant Grand Optician. The wallet was lost with a credit card, a debit card, a receipt for Grand Opticians and $110. We received a call from Grand Optician and found the wallet intact.
A very big thank you to the anonymous do-gooder for returning the wallet and reinforcing our faith that we live among honest folks.
And another from Nancy who claims this incident happened to her husband at a local eatery:
I want to report an incident that my friends and I experienced in Brooklyn Heights on Saturday evening, Oct. 13.
After viewing the sunset on the Promenade, my 4 friends — visiting from London — and my husband and I looked for a place for coffee and tea. The chairs outside of Tutt Cafe on Hicks Street looked inviting, and so we ordered coffee and tea and went outside to sit down.
The chairs were set on a carpet, which concealed the fact that the outer chairs were set on an uneven slope. The front legs were on a level surface, but the back legs were on a slope (concealed by the rug).
When my 67 year old husband sat down and leaned back in his chair, the chair promptly fell back (it was not on a level surface), my husband hit his head on the lamppost and suffered a two inch gash to his head.
This 67 year old man was bleeding profusely. We immediately went inside to inform the personnel. There were 3 people working, 2 preparing food and 1 person waiting on tables and collecting the cash. WE WERE IGNORED!
A 67 year old man is bleeding from the head — and NOBODY could be bothered! In fact, the waiter said,
“You should look before you sit down.” I explained ‘The rug conceals the slope in the sidewalk.”
WE WERE IGNORED! My friends from London were SHOCKED! In fact, “It’s SHOCKING!” is exactly how my British friends expressed it.
Nobody would even come outside to see what happened! Not even a glass of water was offered!
I think the utter CALLOUSNESS of the personnel is what angered us the most.
We filed a report to the Better Business Bureau — and now I’m writing to this blog.
The next person who falls back in that chair — could be your grandmother!