The New York Times has an article about a rare map of New York City from 1770; it was discovered at the Brooklyn Historical Society last year, and is one of only four such maps created by the venerable cartographer Bernard Ratzer. Almost as intriguing as the map itself are the steps that were involved in its restoration. More information is in the article here, and the map will make its debut at a private party at the society Wednesday night.
Rare 1770 Map at Brooklyn Historical Society
Connect with BHB
- “Juneteenth Grove” Installed at Cadman Plaza Park as NYC Parks Declares Solidarity with Black Communities
- Coming at Brooklyn Historical Society
- The King of Staten Island Has a Brooklyn Heights Connection
- BBC America News Covers Brooklyn Heights Businesses’ COVID-19 Travails
- Thousands Gather for George Floyd Vigil at Cadman Plaza
Advertise on BHB
Support independent hyperlocal news written by neighbors for neighbors. Advertise with us. Rates and info available here.
If you have a Brooklyn Heights news tip let us know. Click here to send us an e-mail.