The Brooklyn Eagle caught up with Gristedes chain owner/NYC Mayor wannabe John Catsimatidis to talk about the fire that hit its Brooklyn Heights store last week. He confirmed that, as BHB reported, the fire was caused by an electrical malfunction in the store’s deli section. He tells the paper that employees valiantly tried to stop the blaze using fire extinguishers but couldn’t prevent a “minor problem” from becoming a “major problem.” The pharmacy re-opened last weekend and Catsimatidis thinks the entire store will be back in action in 6 – 8 weeks. Total cost of the damage: $5 million.
Photo: Marc Hermann