via Brownstoner: Some enterprising Pratt student had the presence of mind to bring a video recorder along when architecture prof Bob Pelosi gave a walking tour of Brooklyn Heights and Park Slope. Among other things we learn that the St. George Hotel was considered “one of the wonders of New York” in its time. Taking up an entire city block, it had one of the grandest swimming pools in the world that cost over a million dollars to build at the time. In the Fifties, Sixties and Seventies, of course, it was used as a welfare hotel.
Heights History with Pratt Professor
Connect with BHB
- Storefront Developments Around Brooklyn Heights
- Interfaith Gathering on Promenade to Mark 20th Anniversary of 9/11
- Coming at the Center for Brooklyn History: Building the Brooklyn Bridge
- Farewell to Jack the Horse Tavern: An Interview with Tim Oltmans and Micki Schubert
- Coming at Center for Brooklyn History
If you have a Brooklyn Heights news tip let us know. Click here to send us an e-mail.