via Brownstoner: Some enterprising Pratt student had the presence of mind to bring a video recorder along when architecture prof Bob Pelosi gave a walking tour of Brooklyn Heights and Park Slope. Among other things we learn that the St. George Hotel was considered “one of the wonders of New York” in its time. Taking up an entire city block, it had one of the grandest swimming pools in the world that cost over a million dollars to build at the time. In the Fifties, Sixties and Seventies, of course, it was used as a welfare hotel.
Heights History with Pratt Professor
Connect with BHB
- R.I.P. Martin Schneider, Brooklyn Heights Preservation Pioneer
- Cranberry’s Says So Long to Brooklyn Heights After 42 Years in Business
- “Juneteenth Grove” Installed at Cadman Plaza Park as NYC Parks Declares Solidarity with Black Communities
- Coming at Brooklyn Historical Society
- The King of Staten Island Has a Brooklyn Heights Connection
Advertise on BHB
Support independent hyperlocal news written by neighbors for neighbors. Advertise with us. Rates and info available here.
If you have a Brooklyn Heights news tip let us know. Click here to send us an e-mail.