Chop the Choppers indeed!!
WPIX-TV reports and BHB has confirmed with Congressman Jerry Nadler’s office that the EDC will officially announce drastic changes in tourist helicopter flight pattern over Brooklyn Heights and Brooklyn Bridge Park. A spokesperson for the congressman says that this is an “initial step” but that it doesn’t “solve everything”.
The EDC’s plan calls for:
- Total Elimination of short tours (4 – 8 minutes) which account for 15% – 20% of current traffic
- Eliminate tours of Central Park, Empire State Building and ALL flights over Brooklyn
- Enhanced 311 Protocol including a direct way for complaints to reach the EDC
- Hardening of fuel tanks for safety at the Downtown Manhattan Heliport
- All operators will follow one of two routes: helicopters will depart and approach the heliport from the south, maximizing aircraft distances from the Brooklyn Bridge Park. Helicopters will then follow the center of the Hudson River north to either 79th Street, or Yankee Stadium, before returning south center-west of the Hudson.
Congressman Nadler adds, “I commend EDC for this important first step toward addressing helicopter congestion and safety in Manhattan and Brooklyn. I am committed to continuing to work with the City, the Federal Aviation Administration, and all stakeholders involved to solve these serious airspace congestion and management problems. It is my goal to find additional solutions to tackle the safety and quality-of-life issues generated by the helicopter industry.”
A big shout out to the entire BHB Community including drewburch, zburch and everyone else who went strong to the hoop on this issue.
And thank you Sen. Squadron, Rep. Nadler and others for your tireless work to have this issue resolved in a sane manner.
And kudos to the BHA for their work on the bleeding edge of this issue over a year ago and to WPIX-TV for taking up the cause.