As reported by NY1, a state court today issued an order temporarily restraining UnitedHealthcare, a major health insurance group that controls the popular Oxford Health Plans, from terminating coverage for services provided by doctors affiliated with hospitals in the Continuum Health Partners consortium, which includes Long Island College Hospital. As we previously reported, Continuum’s contract with UnitedHealthcare expired because the parties could not agree on terms of a new contract by the January 1 deadline. Under state law, the insurer was required to provide coverage during a two month grace period following the contract expiration, which meant that, if the parties were still not able to agree on new terms, coverage would have ended March 1. The court has now ordered UnitedHealthcare to continue providing coverage beyond that date, pending arbitration of the dispute.
Court to Insurers: Don’t Dump LICH Docs
Connect with BHB
Advertise on BHB
Support independent hyperlocal news written by neighbors for neighbors. Advertise with us. Rates and info available here.
- Juneteenth Celebration at Cadman Plaza Park Saturday
- “Celebrate Summer” at Pierrepont Playground Wednesday
- Fourth of July Fireworks Back, but Not Easily Visible from Brooklyn Heights
- Grace Chorale of Brooklyn and Apollo Chorus of Chicago Present Premiere On-Line Performance of “Epitaph for Eugene Williams” Sunday Evening
- Brass Bands Festival in Brooklyn Bridge Park Sunday
- Fourth of July Fireworks Back, but Not Easily Visible from Brooklyn Heights June 12, 2021
- “Celebrate Summer” at Pierrepont Playground Wednesday June 12, 2021
- Juneteenth Celebration at Cadman Plaza Park Saturday June 13, 2021
If you have a Brooklyn Heights news tip let us know. Click here to send us an e-mail.