Of course, the best thing for everyone would be to stay inside as much as possible. But for people over 60 and others more vulnerable to COVID-19 who must shop for themselves, the following local grocery stores will provide special hours for those folks only at:
Key Food, 169 Atlantic Avenue (Brooklyn Heights):
7:00 am-9:00 am (unable to confirm, please call ahead)
Stop and Shop, 625 Atlantic Avenue (Atlantic Center):
6:00 am-7:30 am
Whole Foods, 214 3rd Street (Gowanus):
7:00 am-8:00 am
Target, 139 Flatbush Avenue (Atlantic Center):
Every Wednesday, 8:00 am-9:00 am
All Trader Joe’s: 9:00 am-10:00 am
All Walgreen’s: Tuesdays 8:00 am-9:00 am (with discounts for 55 and over all day Tuesday)
Also, Trader Joe’s staff “will maintain an additional line outside the front door for our senior customers. This will ensure that those customers in need will have an expedited entrance to the store to help make their experience a more positive one.”
More than ever, it’s important we come together as a community to serve those in need, including advocating for our seniors. Beginning 3/19, all Stop & Shop stores will open earlier from 6:00AM-7:30AM daily to serve customers who are age 60 and over only. https://t.co/qmZhPUnlpJ
— Stop & Shop (@StopandShop) March 16, 2020
Why senior hours? Stop & Shop explains in this press release that:
- These hours are to help our more vulnerable customers shop in a less crowded environment, if they prefer.
- We plan to make these hours available EVERY day during this period, so it’s not necessary for everyone to come on the first day. This could result in large crowds, the very situation we are looking to prevent as it will make it more difficult for customers to practice social distancing.
- While we recognize we may be experiencing product shortages in some areas, our stores receive deliveries throughout the day so our shelves will be replenished for shoppers at all hours. We are making our best efforts to have products available across high-demand categories throughout the day.
- Stop & Shop has implemented added cleaning and sanitation efforts, which will continue throughout the day at all stores.
- Finally, when you shop for your family, be sure to keep other families in mind. Shop responsibly and buy just what you need.
Let’s all drop a note for our elderly and vulnerable neighbors and ask if they need anything. We’re all in this together.