Contractors hired by National Grid working to install gas service to the home at 25 Willow Place were the cause of the electrical explosions that rocked Brooklyn Heights yesterday afternoon, company officials told BHB today. This confirms our report of a neighbor’s claim at the scene yesterday.
While workers were digging to install gas service to the unoccupied building, they came in contact with an MTA New York City Transit electrical line, sparking electrical fires that caused several manholes in the area to blow sky high.
One house on Joralemon Street temporarily suffered loss of gas service, but the repairs were made last night.
Headline updated for clarification at 3:37pm 1/19/10