This dispatch just in from the PS 8 PTA:
“To all who signed our PS8 overcrowding petitions,
First, we want to share the kindergarten registration presentation the DOE gave at last night’s meeting.
Second, we want to publicize opportunities in the next week for public discussion and advocacy about PS8 overcrowding. Help us keep up the pressure to find solutions to PS8’s current and projected future overcrowding! The more people attend (and advocate at) public meetings, the more PS8’s current and projected overcrowding stays a part of public discussions and the greater the pressure to find acceptable solutions.
- PS8 PTA General Meeting, Jan 22, starting about 7pm: Following the discussion at last night’s kindergarten registration meeting, we are inviting prospective parents to join our PTA general membership meeting tomorrow, January 22nd, at about 7pm. We are planning a discussion of possible short-, medium- and long-term solutions and hoping for feedback from our membership about our next steps as a PTA.
- Independent Neighborhood Democrats meeting, Jan 22, 7pm @ St. Francis College, Small Auditorium: PS8 overcrowding is one of several items on the agenda, and the PTA will be presenting there after our PTA meeting.
- Save Pier 6 Town Hall, Jan 24, 3pm @ Zion Lutheran Evangelical Church, 125 Henry Street: Meeting will discuss feedback and ideas from community on Pier 6 and next steps.
- NY City Council Education Committee meeting, Jan 27, 10am @ Main Council Chambers: Meeting will address overcrowding in NYC public schools (it is not focused on PS8 specifically; view the agenda).
- Brooklyn Bridge Park Community Advisory Council meeting, Jan 27, 6:30pm @ Congregation Mount Sinai, 250 Cadman Plaza West: This meeting is an opportunity to show concern about impacts of Pier 6 development on school capacity (PS8 overcrowding will be one of several issues on the agenda, and the PTA will be presenting).
- Community Board 2 Youth, Education, and Cultural Affairs Committee meeting, Jan 28, 6:00pm @ Long Island University, Jonas Board Room: PS8 PTA will make presentation we made at November 20 overcrowding meeting; this is an opportunity for the PTA to answer questions from the community board. (Please let us know if you plan to attend this meeting, as it may require a larger space.)
If you have questions, please email us.
Kim Glickman and Ansley Samson
Co-presidents, PTA of PS8″