BHB got a tip this morning that Hot Bagels & Deli at 108 Montague Street has been shuttered by the Department of Health. Sure enough, the doors are locked, with a sign from the “City of New York Department of Health & Mental Hygiene” that shouts “CLOSED by order of the Commissioner.” It’s dated January 14, 2013. No “Hot Bag” of bagels today, it appears. Stand by as we scout for more details.
WEDNESDAY UPDATE: Still closed as of Tuesday evening. Reader Regina offers in comments: “Just got some info from a friend at the DOH (that) closure is due to a mouse carcass found inside the bagel oven.” Ouch!
THURSDAY UPDATE: BLOOMY reports below in comments: From the Department of Health’s website, here are listed Sanitary Violations:
1) Cold food item held above 41º F (smoked fish and reduced oxygen packaged foods above 38 ºF) except during necessary preparation.
2) Food Protection Certificate not held by supervisor of food operations.
3) Evidence of mice or live mice present in facility’s food and/or non-food areas.
4) Live roaches present in facility’s food and/or non-food areas.
5) Filth flies or food/refuse/sewage-associated (FRSA) flies present in facility’s food and/or non-food areas. Filth flies include house flies, little house flies, blow flies, bottle flies and flesh flies. Food/refuse/sewage-associated flies include fruit flies, drain flies and Phorid flies.
6) Tobacco use, eating, or drinking from open container in food preparation, food storage or dishwashing area observed.
7) Food not protected from potential source of contamination during storage, preparation, transportation, display or service.
8) Wiping cloths soiled or not stored in sanitizing solution.
9) Facility not vermin proof. Harborage or conditions conducive to attracting vermin to the premises and/or allowing vermin to exist.
10) Food contact surface not properly maintained.
11) Accurate thermometer not provided in refrigerated or hot holding equipment.”